Why you should join AONTAS
Are you interested or involved in adult education?
Then you should join AONTAS because we offer:
- Opportunities to network with other adult learners and practitioners
- Attendance at AONTAS events
- Up to date information on adult education, organisations and events
- A strong collective voice for lobbying government
- Access to AONTAS publications and research reports
- Promotion of the work of your organisation through our website and weekly ebulletin
- An opportunity to become a Learner Ambassador
- A Nationwide Adult Learners' Festival
Advice and Information
- Up-to-date information on adult education policy and its impact on the sector.
- Valuable information about returning to learning through our information referral service or the 'What Next' information booklet.
- Receive free AONTAS publications, including the quarterly magazine EXPLORE, The Adult Learner Journal, and access to our research in the field of adult education.
- Keep up todate on current topics in the feild of Adult Education on our AONTAS Blog.
- Stay updated on international developments in adult education.
- Participate in national and regional events to stay up to date on policy and be part of a lifelong learning community.
- Meet other practitioners involved in community education through the Community Education Network (CEN).
- Attend our annual general meeting to hear expert speakers, meet colleagues, exchange views, learn from each other's experiences.
- Vote for members of the Executive Committee or nominate a representative from your organisation to run for election.
- Promote the work of your organisation through our website (with over 7,000 visitors per month),
our weekly newsletter "AONTAS Weekly Update", Explore magazine and social media.
- Submit your articles to the Irish Journal of Adult and Community Education: The Adult Learner Journal.
- Promote your organisation by participating in the National Adult Learners' Festival which is a nationwide celebration of adult learning.
- Influence policy to address the issues you face as a Learner or adult education practitioner.
- Participate in campaigns which raise the profile of adult and community education and keep it on the political agenda.
- Be part of an organisation that represents your concerns to policy makers such as The Department of Education and Skills, SOLAS, QQI
and other bodies that impact on your organisation.
- Showcase your practice in our submissions and position papers.
- Support your learners to become learner ambassadors and to act as advocates for adult learning, through our learner support work.
Jim Prior, Limerick Community Education Network
"Being part of a national organisation has many benefits from influencing national policy on adult learning but importantly making our mark at a local level. We won the prestigious 2012 AONTAS Adult Learners' Festival STAR awards which gave us local and national recognition. By being part of the AONTAS Community Education Network we have helped to bring local issues, such as the difficulties with the FETAC Common Award System to national level, and through the network created links with other providers across the county that acted like a support system for this work"
Click here to join online now!